Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bomb it Again


After watching the movie Bomb It today in class, it was funny to see different reactions and views on graffiti. Since I've lived in one of the most tagged cities in the world its easy to see both ends of the spectrum. When I first arrived in Prague there was nothing but graffiti everywhere, every corner, each building, roadways, you name it. My first reaction was astonishment, I wondered if there was a recent riot or something. As time went bye and I started travelling around more areas it started to seem more of pictures and art to me. Sometimes it would even bring me to laughs because the pictures would be crude or sometimes just hilarious. Still I kept wondering if it was such a problem surely they would have a task force of some sort. Not such the case, no matter the effort it would still persist. So the crowd that despises it had plenty of options. They could easily reside in part of the city that was on the outskirts and gated or move to smaller cities which have far less signatures. What it comes down to basically is if it fits the city or not. If the majority of the people dont care enought to stop it then it wont and like wise. I can honestly say that it had no major affect on my lifestyle. Better then tons of other things that they could be doing.

1 comment:

Paul G. said...

Mr. Payne,

I wish you had brought more of your experiences to class. Your time in Prague probably would have influenced some other students to open their minds into a larger world.

Hopefully they'll read about your time away from America now.